Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Exploring the Geneanet.com Library


As a new FamilySearch.org partner, I am sure that few of the people on FamilySearch.org are aware of the resources of Geneanet.com. I have been aware of the program for quite some time, but have not focused on their collections because I have no ancestors from continental Europe except in Denmark.

I am surprised to learn that Geneanet.com has 745,285 collections that include 725,872 books. Here is a screenshot of part of their detailed list of types of records.


It appears that many of the books are from France but they also have sizable collections of books from Algeria, Belgium, Canada, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Madagascar, Morocco, Netherlands, the Russian Federation, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States and Vietnam.

As I have noted previously, genealogists today seem to avoid looking in paper books and having this large collection of digitized books is a great opportunity to have the genealogical community more involved with the existing corpus of genealogical relevant material in books.

In the searches I made on Geneanet.com, it seems that they have all the books indexed and digital copies of the pages available for view.


In doing a search on my Tanner surname, I found 313,552 results, so it looks like I might find a few relatives in that huge response.

I suggest that you might want to start exploring Geneanet.com especially if you have an LDS account on FamilySearch.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment