Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Monday, December 21, 2015

New Apps on the FamilySearch App Gallery


There are presently 111 apps listed on the FamilySearch.org App Gallery. Two new apps were highlighted by Gordon Clarke in the Partner News - December, 2015 post. Here are the announcements of the two new apps:
Kinmapper 
Kinmapper is now Read Certified. Kinmapper will use data provided by your FamilySearch family tree to map the locations where your ancestors lived. Easily see your relatives on a map and search for them by name. Kinmapper makes it easy to visualize where you ancestors lived.
TapGenes 
TapGenes is now Read Certified. Preserve your family’s health story because your doctors don’t know you like your family does. TapGenes helps you collect, preserve, and share Family Health History information to help you care for the ones you love.
A family’s health history is considered the single strongest predictor of disease risk yet only 4% of Americans have a documented health history past their parents in medical records. Family members share genes, behaviors, lifestyles, and environments that together may influence their health and their risk of chronic disease. TapGenes is designed to be simple, social, and fun. It uses engaging quizzes to capture health information and machine learning algorithms to calculate health risks.
When I signed in to Kinmapper, it gave me 8 generations of my family mapped onto a world map. Of course, I had to be registered with FamilySearch.org and sign in to the Family Tree also, but it was interesting to see how the map worked. Here is a screenshot of the home page and the map I got from my Family Tree data.

This is the map.


By clicking in, it gave me a list of all of my ancestors buried in one location.


As the instructions for KinMapper note, if the information in the Family Tree is inaccurate or incomplete the results from the map will reflect those issues. The map for Europe was even more interesting:


There is something interesting going on because the marker for Italy linked to my Grandfather who lived in Utah and died in Pasadena, California. 


That was interesting because my Grandmother was linked to Japan by another program. I am not sure how those come up. When I zoom in on England, I can see how this program is going to help me with my English Research. I am definitely going to have a use for this program. 

The next program is TapGenes. The link for this program does not yet appear in the App Gallery, but here is a screenshot of the website:



The utility of this program would depend on whether or not your extended family wanted to participate. It would potentially be useful for spotting inherited health issues, but I really doubt that my own family would be interested. This app will take some time to evaluate. 

4 comments:

  1. For Harold Morgan it shows Pasadena for death but if you go to edit the death you will see that it is attached to a place in Italy. I'll leave it to you to correct it. Guessing the same for the person you have attached to Japan.

    I have seen this happen before. You put in a location and if you don't watch carefully to what it attaches to, it sometimes attaches to a place far, far away from where it should. In actuality, you do attach to the incorrect place, you just have to be really quick to see that it is doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another way this happens is when you attach a source and the location in that source is incomplete. FS attempts to match it with a valid location and sometimes although it is a valid location, it isn't the correct location. These are difficult to find. The best solution would be for FS to do some sort of compare and then do an alert for a potential problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably our job as family historians. :-)

      Delete